Principal Engineer – Electrical
|Role Title:||Principal Engineer – Electrical|
|Reporting To:||Chief Engineer / Technical Specialist – Electrical|
|Location:||Head Office at Birmingham Business Park.|
|Role Purpose:||As a Principal Engineer within Sprint Power electrical department, you will be involved at all stages of the design and development process. You will liaise directly with customers and the Sprint-Power engineering teams to support delivery of robust effective engineering solutions. You will be responsible for design of electrical distribution systems form architecture definition through to delivery of production drawings for respective assemblies. You will be responsible for leading the team of electrical engineers on your assigned projects to ensure technical delivery.|
Key Aspects of the role:
- You will work across various projects of differing scale.
- Projects may include electric vehicle systems, powertrain, and stationary energy storage.
- You will be responsible for leading the electrical design team assigned to the respective project.
- You will be responsible for managing electrical department system design.
- You will be responsible for managing electrical department FMEA’s.
- You will be responsible for Design Validation Planning, execution, policing of conformity and status reporting for electrical department projects.
To have an excellent understanding of automotive engineering design practices covering:
- Electrical Distribution Systems (EDS) and their subcomponents.
- Sound Knowledge of engineering principles, materials selection, and manufacturing techniques.
- Sound Knowledge of vehicle assembly with respect to EDS.
- Sound Knowledge of EDS manufacturing processes. EDS validation approaches and techniques.
To have a basic knowledge of low carbon electric and hybrid vehicle technologies including:
- Function of vehicle HV batteries, PDU’s, inverters, motors and chargers.
- Vehicle High, Medium and Low voltage EDS.
Health, Safety & Environmental
- Ensures Environmental Health & Safety policy is always adhered to.
- Promotes Environmental Health & Safety awareness.
- Responsible for adhering to EHS procedures & policies to ensure compliance.
Qualifications, Functional Experience & Skills
- A sound understanding of engineering, physics and applied mathematics and their application to solving real world problems.
- A degree / similar qualification or demonstrable experience in an engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant industry experience.
- Experience in automotive or other relevant Electrical systems design, development and validation.
- Proven track record in the effective delivery of technical objectives to quality targets and milestones.
- Familiarity with systems engineering processes from requirements capture through to design validation.
- Experience working on hybrid or electric vehicle subsystems and components e.g. HV EDS, LV EDS, inverters, DC/DC converters etc.
- Experience in compliance engineering to electric vehicle regulations and external standards.
- A history of interfacing with external parties (e.g. customers or suppliers) for dealing with technical queries and resolving technical issues.
- Ability to produce original, innovative cost-effective validation solutions.
- Support of reliability and safety analysis (e.g. FMEA).
System or Knowledge:
- Advanced capabilities in Microsoft Office and applications.
- Experience of Business Management Systems including ISO9001.
- Experience of working to ISO26262 (optional).
- Self-motivated, creative and adaptive team player.
- Willingness to take on roles, responsibilities and challenges required to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to Prioritize and organize project workloads, schedules and tasks.
- Strong presentation, report writing and communication skills.
Other Features of job
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- This role is based at our Head Office at Birmingham Business Park, 0900 to 1700, including 30-minute paid break 5 days a week.
- UK Travel very occasionally.
Please click here to apply.