Chief Engineer – Mechanical
|Role Title:||Chief Engineer – Mechanical|
|Reporting To:||Hardware Group Manager|
|Location:||Head Office at Birmingham Business Park.|
|Role Purpose:||As a Chief Engineer / Tech Specialist Mechanical Design within TAE Power Solutions, you will be involved at all stages of the design and development process. You will liaise directly with customers, and the TAE engineering teams, to provide and deliver effective engineering solutions. You will be responsible for all aspects of mechanical design & development, from requirements capture and specification generation to system design, development, verification, and validation, providing leadership to the CAD engineering team in the areas of Mechanical & Electrical design.|
- Lead the Mechanical & Electrical CAD engineering team.
- You will work across various, often complex, and technically challenging, Sprint Power product development and customer R&D / demonstration/production projects.
- Projects may include electric vehicle systems, powertrains, and stationary energy storage.
- Lead and manage the creation of 3D model-based engineering design solutions.
- Lead & manage the generation of prototype & manufacturing drawings, reports & specifications.
- Liaise with client’s, contractors, and suppliers to ensure development and delivery of designs.
- Support product sourcing, purchasing and selection as required by the design process.
- Ensure project documentation is correctly managed, maintained and released in line with company processes and standards.
- Lead and manage technical reviews of product designs, requirements, and specifications.
- Delivery of engineering tasks in line with project milestones.
- Track, manage and maintain BOM’s for mechanical systems and assemblies.
- Assure design feasibility by confirming fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Confirm system capabilities by designing testing methods or utilizing analysis tools.
- To provide technical leadership as required in the technical delivery of engineering projects ensuring technical deliverables are met.
- Support new business opportunities through bid leadership, preparation of commercial documentation, client meetings and promotional activities where appropriate.
- Manage resources (labour and facilities) by planning and allocating resources to projects to meet demand and improve effectiveness.
- Develop and implement engineering facilities & processes to support project and departmental objectives.
- To have an excellent understanding of automotive engineering design practices covering:
- 3D modeling, design, packaging, and conceptual digital mockups.
- The production of 2D part, assembly, and manufacturing drawings.
- Sound Knowledge of engineering principles, materials selection, and manufacturing techniques.
- To have a basic knowledge of low carbon electric and hybrid vehicle technologies including:
- Function of vehicle HV batteries, PDU’s, inverters, motors, and chargers.
- Vehicle powertrain systems, heating, and cooling systems.
Health, Safety & Environmental:
- Ensure Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) policy is always adhered to.
- Promote Environmental Health & Safety awareness.
- Responsible for adhering to EHS procedures & policies to ensure compliance.
Qualifications, Functional Experience & Skills:
- Ability to produce original innovative cost-effective design solutions.
- A sound understanding of engineering, physics and applied mathematics and their application to solving real world problems.
- A degree or similar qualification in an engineering discipline
- A minimum of 10 years relevant industry experience
- To have an excellent understanding of automotive engineering design practices particularly in the field of Battery systems, their subcomponents, materials selection, and manufacturing techniques
- Ideally, FEA or CFD knowledge for evaluating theoretical designs.
- Experience in automotive or other relevant battery systems design, development, and validation.
- Proven track record in the effective delivery of technical objectives to quality targets and milestones.
- Familiarity with systems engineering processes from requirements capture through to design validation.
- Experience working on Mechanical, hybrid or electric vehicle subsystems and components e.g., Chassis, electrical, battery systems, electronics etc.
- Experience in compliance engineering to electric vehicle regulations and external standards
- A history of interfacing with external parties (e.g., customers or suppliers) for dealing with technical queries and resolving technical issues.
- Support of reliability and safety analysis (e.g., FMEA, FTA, HARA etc.) and familiarity in the application of functional safety and ISO 26262.
- Commercial awareness.
System or Knowledge:
- Advanced capabilities in Microsoft Office and applications.
- Experience of mechanical CAD software and associated systems e.g Catia, Solidworks or similar, Team center, CFD and structural analysis systems
- Previous experience of BMS procedures including ISO9001.
- Proven leadership skills. Outgoing, confident, and articulate.
- Self-motivated, creative, and adaptive team player.
- Willingness to take on roles, responsibilities and challenges required to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to Prioritize and organize project workloads, schedules, and tasks.
- Strong presentation, report writing and communication skills.
Other Features of job
- Eligible to work in the UK.
- This role is based at our Head Office at Birmingham Business Park, 0900 to 1700, including 30-minute paid break 5 days a week.
- Travel occasionally as required.
Please click here to apply