Senior / Principal Manufacturing Engineer
|Role Title:||Senior / Principal Manufacturing Engineer|
|Reporting to:||Head of Facilities and Manufacturing Engineering|
|Role Purpose:||The Manufacturing Engineers’ primary function is to define and develop Sprint Power’s manufacturing process & facilities. Key to success in this role will be the ability to operate as part of the project team, mitigating risk via DFM, scoping equipment and test deliverables and enabling a controlled product introduction. You will be helping plan new production methods and the resourcing of manufacturing projects for niche volume manufacturing lines.|
The Manufacturing Engineer will support the Product Design function and define manufacturing and assembly processes enabling efficient, repeatable methods that deliver products that meet cost, quality and reliability targets.
Projects are interesting and varied, you will be working on multiple, simultaneous projects of high complexity. Your efforts will directly impact project success. You will develop and implement best practice emphasising defect prevention, reduction in variation and waste and providing for continuous improvement. You will ensure that products produced meet quality standards via APQP activity.
Key Aspects of the role
- New Product Introduction
- Support Product engineering teams from Concept to delivery.
- Ensure product design and manufacturing processes do not compromise product safety.
- Applying Design for Manufacture principles to brand new product designs, Boothroyd and Dewhurst experience desirable.
- Experience in defining ISO or AMSE GDT datum sequences desirable.
- Drive / Negotiate early design change to deliver process capability.
- Generate production documentation, BoMs, routings, layouts, efficient process flow, PFMEA, Standard work, and control plans.
- Develop, drive, plan and deliver process controls via PFMEA.
- Assist with shop floor layout and workstation definition.
- Assist with design of fixtures and tooling for assembly tasks (Poka-Yoke / error proofing).
- Maintain metric on takt.
- Support problem solving and process improvement activities.
- Identify need for test methods, help document and develop.
- Contribute to control plans, supporting PPAP approval.
- Support installation and commissioning of production machines/equipment.
- Define procurement specifications.
- Project manage equipment delivery phase.
- Support installation & commissioning stages.
- PUWER assessment experience is desirable.
- Keep up with developments in battery manufacturing methods.
- Report writing & presentations on project plans, KPIs & progress to internal and external stakeholders.
- Use/report on available inspection data and recommend methods.
Health, Safety & Environmental
- Ensure Environmental Health & Safety policy is always adhered to.
- Promote Environmental Health & Safety awareness.
- Identify and comply with all applicable regulations.
- Adhere to EHS procedures & policies to ensure compliance.
Qualifications, Functional Experience & Skills Required
- Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree / experience, or relevant ONC / BTEC National Diploma.
- Ability to imagine & implement manufacturing processes and production layouts.
- Ability to plan, budget and resource manufacturing activities.
- Understanding of production cost drivers.
- Generating Automotive APQP products and PPAP requirements, in particular PFMEA and actions.
- Experience developing production controls for voltages from 48 to 1500V (desirable).
- Can gently educate others hands-on in practical lean methodologies.
Qualifications, Functional Experience & Skill – Preferred
- Experience of raising capex, successfully securing funds, delivering new technologies to plant.
- Experienced with battery systems design and manufacturing methods using various cell technologies (cell welding / end of line testing (desirable).
- Experience developing transport solutions for Lithium-Ion batteries.
- Experience of DFMEA flow-down as part of a project team.
- Use of problem-solving methodology, 8D, Ishikawa (TRIZ desirable).
- Professional accreditation with an industry body desirable.
- Experience implementing COSHH controls and PUWER assessments desirable.
- May be from Automotive of Aerospace, seeking more scope technically, mechanical / electrical background.
- Enjoys new technologies, shows willingness and ability to negotiate technical concessions (can readily explain their position). Is resilient, persistent, welcomes change.
- Ability to foresee, report and resolve manufacturing risks.
- Engages interest and participation of others and has a collaborative approach to working in teams.
- Optimistic and self-aware.
- Shows moral courage, open and honest.
- Initiative-taking, flexible, proactive and committed.
- Demonstrates effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills, presents data effectively.
- Independently determines approach and assigned tasks.
- Enjoys a diverse and dynamic environment.
- Plans & prioritises activities.
- Exercises latitude and technical judgement in deciding work methods.
- Ability to manage groups to achieve goals within budget.
- Good understanding of customer expectations and deliverables with an awareness of the impact of failure/’cost of poor quality.’
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
Please click here to apply.