Senior/Principal Battery Design Engineer
|Role Title:||Principal/Senior Battery Design Engineer|
|Reporting To:||Chief Engineer – Battery Systems / Mechanical|
|Role Purpose:||As a Battery Design Engineer within Sprint Power, you will be involved at all stages of the design and development process. You will liaise directly with customers, and the SP engineering teams to provide and deliver effective engineering solutions. Responsible for the inception, development and release of battery and mechanical system designs across a broad range of company projects.|
Key Aspects of the role
- Creation and development of 3D model-based engineering design solutions.
- Generation of concept, prototype and manufacturing drawings, reports and specifications.
- Liaise with customers, contractors and suppliers to ensure development and delivery of designs.
- Support product sourcing, purchasing and selection as required by the design process.
- Ensure project documentation is correctly managed, maintained and released in accordance with company BMS processes and standards.
- Participate in technical reviews of product designs, requirements and specifications.
- Delivery of engineering tasks in line with project milestones.
- Track, manage and maintain BOM’s for mechanical systems and assemblies.
- Assure design feasibility by confirming fabrication, assembly and installation processes.
- Confirm system capabilities by designing testing methods or utilizing analysis tools.
- To have an excellent understanding of automotive engineering design practices covering:
- 3D modeling, design, packaging and conceptual digital mock ups.
- The production of 2D part, assembly and manufacturing drawings.
- Sound Knowledge of engineering principles, materials selection and manufacturing techniques.
- Ideally with experience of high voltage battery design (400-900V) using pouch, prismatic and/or cylindrical cells.
- Knowledge of battery cooling systems would be beneficial – cooling plates, air-cooled, immersive cooling, etc.
- experience in designing busbars and familiar with welding of dissimilar materials.
- Catia experience is essential.
- To have a basic knowledge of Low Carbon Electric and Hybrid Vehicle technologies including:
- Function of vehicle HV batteries, PDU’s, inverters, motors and chargers.
- Vehicle powertrain systems, heating and cooling systems.
Health, Safety & Environmental
- Ensures Environmental Health & Safety policy is always adhered to.
- Promotes Environmental Health & Safety awareness.
- Responsible for adhering to EHS procedures & policies to ensure compliance.
Qualifications, Functional Experience & Skills
- A degree or similar in an engineering discipline
- A minimum of 5 years relevant industry experience.
- Experience in automotive mechanical systems design and prototype development.
- Ability to produce original innovative cost-effective design solutions.
- Produce drawings and designs adhering to recognized industry standards and practices.
- Sound knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and materials selection.
- Experience in component manufacturing techniques and methods.
- Proven track record in the effective delivery of technical objectives to quality targets and milestones.
- Ideally, experience in electrical harness routing and component packaging.
- Ideally, FEA or CFD knowledge for evaluating theoretical designs
System or Knowledge
- Advanced capabilities in Microsoft Office and applications.
- Experience of mechanical systems CAD software e.g Catia, Solidworks or similar.
- Previous experience of BMS procedures including ISO9001.
- Self-motivated, creative and adaptive team player.
- Willingness to take on roles, responsibilities and challenges required to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to Prioritize and organize project workloads, schedules and tasks.
- Strong presentation, report writing and communication skills.
For job applications, please send us your cover letter and CV to Jobs@Sprint-Power.com or use the form below.